Warwick Gas Works

Warwick Gas Works

This gas works, one of the oldest and best preserved in the world, was built in 1822 next to the Saltisford Canal Basin.
This elegant building has octagonal towers at either end, in which the gasholders were contained, and a central office area. The stuccoed frontage is complemented by rounded leaded windows, with Gothic glazing bars, those windows in the gas holders being false.
Gas was 'exported' to Leamington Spa to light the town and in 1823 the Warwick Gas Company erected 18 lamps along Union Parade, supplied from their Saltisford works by a three-mile main along the Myton and Old Warwick roads, and in 1830 the oil lamps in Leamington's parish church, were replaced by 19 gas -lamps.
The buildings to the rear of the works are now gone but the frontage remains, and is now used as offices.

Address
Birmingham Road, Saltisford, Warwick
Car Park
On Street
Info
Family
Images (1)