Print |  Close this window

Eastgate

Address
Top of Smith Street, Warwick,
Car Park
Priory Road
Info
Family
Eastgate

The East Gate, one of the only two remaining gates, has seen many changes since it was first part of the defensive system of the town.

It, like West Gate, is notable for having a chapel built upon it.

The small chapel of St. Peter's perched on top of East Gate, dated to the mid 15th century, but was ruinous by 1571.

It survived, in a deteriorating state, despite many alterations, until the late 18th century, when it was decided to rebuild it.

The present building was opened in 1788. Designed by Francis Hiorn, three-times mayor of Warwick. It is a very striking building indeed.

Print |  Close this window